Gopher Resource has been a national environmental solutions provider for over 70 years, protecting the earth and preserving natural resources. Our purpose is the safe and efficient recycling of lead-based batteries throughout North America using sustainable practices and advanced technology.
To supply quality products and services to our customers through environmentally safe recycling.
To be recognized as a leader in implementing innovative process improvements.
To enable all employees to realize personal and professional development through company-wide involvement, teamwork, open communications and training within a safe working environment.
- 1946: Gopher Resource is founded in Eagan, MN, and still operates from this same location.
- 1979–1989: Gopher Resource invests heavily in Eagan facility with multiple new structures: battery breaking, shipping docks, administration, maintenance, lunch room, locker rooms and water treatment.
- 1990: Gopher Resource becomes first U.S. company to receive the EPA’s Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Part B permit for the safe treatment, storage and disposal of recycled materials.
- 1993: Gopher Resource, Eagan, opens subsidiary Resource Plastics to process polypropylene (recycled from plastic battery casings).
- 1993–Present: The Recycling Zone in Dakota County, MN, opens. Gopher Resource is selected as, and remains, the facility operator.
- 1997: Gopher Resource achieves QS-9000 certification, the first company in the battery industry to do so.
- 1998: Gopher Resource achieves ISO-14000 certification.
- 1999: Gopher Resource achieves ISO-14001 compliance, becoming the first in the industry to implement this strict environmental management system.
- 2006: Gopher Resource expands to Tampa, FL, by purchasing EnviroFocus Technologies LLC and proceeds to invest nearly $100 million in environmental improvements.
- 2012: Gopher Resource, Eagan, completes extensive storm water collection and re-use system.
- 2014: Gopher Resource surpasses 600 employees total.
- 2014: Gopher Resource joins the Advanced Lead-Acid Battery Consortium (ALABC), an international organization dedicated to research and advancing the capabilities of lead-acid batteries.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Gopher Resource is devoted to advancing safe, sustainable lead battery recycling. We’re proud of the recognition we’ve received for achieving high standards of environmental sustainability, safety, continuous improvement and product and service excellence.
- Minnesota Department of Health Environmental Laboratory Accreditation
- Dakota County Regional (DCR) Chamber Business Excellence Award Winner in 2009 and 2015
- Call2Recycle Leader in Sustainability Award 2015
- Bada Hennessy Industries Certificate of Appreciation for consistently meeting Quality and Delivery Performance expectations for 2014
- Water Gremlin Valued Supplier in 2013 and 2014
- EnerSys Distinguished Supplier Award recipient in 2012
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Gopher Resource is honored to partner with leading associations and organizations to build a better tomorrow.
- Advanced Lead-Acid Battery Consortium (ALABC)
- Association of Battery Recyclers (ABR)
- BSI Group America, Inc.
- Battery Council International (BCI)
- Battery Recycling Association of North America (BRANA)
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- ChemTel Inc.
- Environmental Initiative (EI)
- Ex Environmental, Inc.
- International Lead Association (ILA)
- Manufacturers Alliance
- Solid Waste Association (SWANA)
- Dakota County Regional Chamber of Commerce (DCR)
- Eagan Rotary Club
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
- Minnesota Safety Council
- Minnesota Waste Wise (MWW)
- Recycling Association of Minnesota (RAM)